Unity Tutorial 02 - Cursor and Raycast

Why do you write like you’re running out of time?
Write day and night like you’re running out of time?
Ev’ry day you fight, like you’re running out of time!


In this week's tutorial, I learned how to import and add a sound, collider and trigger to an object, as well as how to implement water into the terrain.
The first video was very useful, as Jimmy discussed elements that are in most, if not all games, like the ability to collect objects from the ground. This will prove useful when I start working on my own game, as I wanted the player to be able to collect items... Thought, I would like that there would be a time bar that shows how long it takes to collect specific item.
The water part I have learned on my own when I was working on my terrain after first set of tutorials. I originally planned to make a waterfall, but that required assets and coding...
Speaking of coding, or programming... this will be the hardest part of the project and of the video. While Jimmy tries to explain all the codes he does and its easy to just copy the code, it is a bit harder to understand it to the point where I can use it to my own advantage. Never used C#, and it's nowhere near HTML that I know well, so I have a lot to learn.

Second tutorial was about adding cursor and raycasts.
Adding in the cursor was pretty quick and simple, and I had no problem doing it. I also liked that he used a simple square/diamond, instead of using something fancy.
Raycasts... I am a little bit confused about that part. I think I will have to look up more tutorials about them. I understand that it determines how far we are from an object in the world... but I am not exactly sure if it has any purpose other than debugging.
Working more with gems, cursors and raycasts. Screenshot of my unity world.

Overall, I liked the videos, they are simple to follow and are just a perfect lenght to keep me interested in watching from start to finish. The order in which he is doing things also makes sense.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction - Hey! I don't bite.

Final GDD - Witch's Apprentice

MD2Final GDD