Game Idea Research - Witch's Apprentice - Oh, what did I get myself into.....

 - You are possibly the worst I've ever trained.
- Thank you for encouragement.
I liked all the ideas that I came up in the previous post, but the one that made me the most excited was my second idea - Witch's Apprentice (Title may change in the future.)
Description of the game from previous post:
  • I don't even know how to describe this game... but it would involve witches, and plants. And potion making. So, basically, the character is a young girl who is forced to stay with a witch to learn all about the witchy stuff. Plants, potions, spells, rituals. Why is she forced? Hm, maybe because she was causing problems to her family? Maybe she was an orphan? Maybe a thief? Maybe a witch is highly desirable profession in the world of the game? I will have to think about it. Most of the gameplay would involve doing missions, follow recipes to make certain potions, go out to find the ingredients and so on, so forth.
I know it is quite an ambitious plan and will take a lot of work, but if I have to do it anyway... why not make it worth while? Hopefully it will work. 
I have roughly mentioned the mechanics that I would need in the previous post, but back then, I didn't look too much into any particular aspect. 

1. Inventory
One of the things I will need is an inventory for the main character so she can store the plants, crystals and rocks she will pick up. It will also be used to hold potions and tools needed for various activities. 
Based on this tutorial, I can make a small inventory that could be used by the player. I might try to make it a little bit bigger thought, to make sure that the player has enough of space to hold different types of items and quantities. 

2. Non-Playable Characters
Nowdays, it is hard to make a game with plot without NPCs. I don't plan adding too many of them, but just enough to push the story forward. I know I will need The Witch who would play the role of the teacher for the player. She will be the one seen the most, as she will be main mission giver and a helper. The next would be a Merchant who would sell unobtainable items - those that come from monsters or distant land. Maybe add in another Merchant who would buy/sell tools and equipment? The last type of NPCs would be the quests givers/potion buyers. 
This tutorial goes through how to add in animation to the npcs. 
This video shows how to add in the ability to talk with NPCs. A player even has a multiple choice as to what they want to ask the NPC. Fun! 

3. Pickable Items. 
And one of the most important aspects - picking up items that are all around terrain. I know I can use the gem method, but I wonder if there is any other way to interact with, for example, flowers that had been brushed onto the terrain? It would be amazing if they were something that a player could interact with. 

Image Inspiration: 
All Images taken from Pinterest
"Half of her herb garden was for cooking. The other half would kill you. Sometimes she used both in the same dish."

Comments

  1. Hey Adriana,
    Firstly I love your game idea it sounds so cool. I like how you chose to make a game involving witches I think it will make for a really interesting and fun game to play. I really like that the game will involve the character making potions and other witchy things I think it'll make the game standout and something people will want to play. How will the character fair in the game will she go on adventures to try and prove that she won't have to stay inside and be able to venture of to other places? I think it would be interesting to maybe add a little cat in the game that follows the character where she goes I think that would be so cute. I wonder what will be the characters actual reason for not being allowed leave, I look forward to seeing your game progress its such a good idea!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction - Hey! I don't bite.

Final GDD - Witch's Apprentice

MD2Final GDD