Growth Mindset

Quote by Jack London. Source: DeviantArt
A Growth Mindset - it almost sounds like something for a different world. Perhaps a world where the effort put into the work is more important than the final results. But this is not a world we live in, and I don't think it will ever be. Most colleges don't care about the process behind the result, and no job will pay you for putting in the effort but not getting the result "yet".

I was raised up as a "you must success" child - failing meant failure, it wasn't part of a progress or a way to a success. It was a failure. It was a tough time, but I think tough times shape people in one way or another. A strict mindset didn't hurt me academically. In fact, I simply studied harder and learned more because I wanted to succeed and I wanted to have the knowledge. I never looked for people weaker than me or try to run away from studying, instead, I tried harder. It wasn't always about the score though, at least not for me. I like the challenge and I always try to take everything I do one step further. Not for the grade, but so I can say "I did the best I could". The grades are a nice addition to the success though.

I think that if I was in a college with the scoring system of "not yet", I would slack off and never really reach my full potential. I think it would stop me from learning more, but that might be because I am already very into my own mindset. Maybe a grade of "Try Again" would be better, because that would hopefully encourage people to try again and again.

I also think that even with the best "growth" techniques, grading systems and so on, a person who doesn't want to grow will simply not grow.
Source: Pinterest
Saying all that, I want to learn more about the concept of a growth mindset, just for the sake of knowing more because I am not sure if it will particularly help me in any of my modules. While I'm not 100% positive about them all, I also try not to worry about them. What will be, will be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction - Hey! I don't bite.

Final GDD - Witch's Apprentice

MD2Final GDD