Unity Tutorial 01 - Let's create!

"Welcome to Unity!"
I have roughly watched the videos before opening Unity, which made me more confident when I finally downloaded it onto my computer. At least I wasn't scared by all the controls, options and numbers. So once I got it, I went back to the tutorials and started working on my little world as I was listening to the instructions. Jimmy has really calming voice and is really good at passing on his knowledge, so it was easy to follow what he was doing. I liked that he had included a link to download all of his textures, scripts and assets, but I wish it would come in as a one big pack that I can download in one go, because having to stop the tutorial to download was a bit of a mood-killer for me. Downloading them one by one was time-consuming, but I think it was worth it overall.
After watching and practicing the three tutorials, I had decided to create a new project and try to remember all the things that I learned. It was great fun, I must admit, and playing around helped me understand a lot of the options.

Screenshot of my scene. Made in Unity.
I ended up with a rather simple lanscape. A whole mountain range with conifer trees, a bit of a valley with a lake and a house with barn and well. I enjoyed trying to blend the textures so that they would look natural, but I think I should have used bigger range of them, rather than the three provided by the tutorials. The house building felt a little bit like the feature in Planet Coaster, where you already have prebuilt walls, windows, doors and so on, and you just join them together to create something unique and amazing.

Screenshot from first-person mode.
After creating the lanscape, I started to wonder, if any texture from internet would work if I imported it into Unity? I think that could be a very cool thing. I would also love to learn more about the water physics. It looks great from the above, but once you jump into it... it kinda disappears.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction - Hey! I don't bite.

Final GDD - Witch's Apprentice

MD2Final GDD