Feedback strategies

The first article I read was "The Trouble with “Amazing”: Giving Praise that Matters". Many of us, students, have heard feedback such as "amazing", "great job", "brilliant". After all, it's an easy way to give attention without too much effort. Sadly, from reading this article, I have learned that such feedback not only doesn't help but can be harmful. While it might be nice to hear that our work is nice, such feedback carries little to no weight to it. This article refers to it as "Paula Praise", from American Idol. 
This kind of feedback is also unspecific - we learn nothing from it. We have no idea what was really good and what needs improving. 
The author also talks about how a person should be commented on their effort rather than their person or talent. I think that both should be commented on, because they are equally important. 
Source: Pinterest

The second article was "How to Give Feedback Without Sounding Like a Jerk". I liked reading this one, as it had many interesting tips for giving feedback without making the other person feel attacked or offended. 
  • Explain why you’re giving the feedback - Basically start the conversation with something that will make the person feel more comfortable and make them think that you have their back and believe in them. This way, they will be less offended. 
  • Take yourself off a pedestal - Try to send a signal that you aren't perfect, but you are trying to get there. Negative feedback can make people feel inferior, so bringing it to the same level makes it easier to accept.  
  • Ask if the person wants feedback - People appreciate feedback more when they actually say that they want it. 
  • Have a transparent dialogue, not a manipulative monologue - I must admit, this one confuses me a little, so I don't really know how to explain it. 

Overall, I really enjoyed reading the articles as they were informative. I only ever gave proper feedback twice, and I tried to focus on the positives and the things that could have been improved. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction - Hey! I don't bite.

Final GDD - Witch's Apprentice

MD2Final GDD